Arundel was originally part of the area known as Cape Porpoise. Early land grants and deeds from the seventeenth century describe Cape Porpoise as extending between the Batson and Mousam rivers. In 1681, a written description of the town’s boundaries was prepared. Cape Porpoise had lost and gained land, shifting to the east. The town extended eight miles inland, between the Kennebunk and Little rivers. Livelihoods were gained from fishing, farming, and building masts for ships. There is today evidence of the earliest sawmills and gristmill.
In 1681 the first Mill Grant was issued and along River Road, 100-acre lots were deeded. At this time as well, Native Americans, believed to be Micmacs, inhabited the area. From the region of Walkers Lane, where Route One now crosses the Kennebunk River, south to the area where Goff Mill Brook crosses River Road, near the Cape Arundel Golf Course, there were at least five mills and a brickyard. Most of the mills were saw mills, but one became a fulling mill where thread was made from cotton and the Goff’s Brook Mill became a gristmill.
468 Limerick Road
Parks & Recreation
Seashore Trolley Museum
Arundel Barn Playhouse